Danger's Art Pad

Danger's Art Pad

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Head Painting #12- WOMEN


So, as I was trying to decide who to use as reference for tonight's painting, I thought of a deficiency within a deficiency that I have: obviously I'm trying to get better at painting heads, but I have spent relatively little time during these head studies painting female heads, which is a huge disservice to myself as an artist. This is a problem throughout my work. I grew up wanting so badly to draw comic book superheroes, all I ended up learning was how to draw rough, broad-shouldered, scruffy faced Nick Fury types (which I guess is good, because it means I didn't learn how to draw women from comic books. Am I right, Spencer Hawkes?). I need to spend more time rendering females in paint and ink. Tonights attempt comes from a variety of references, with the base gesture coming from an old publicity still of Patricia Neal (WHO IS ADMIRABLE, TALENTED AND GORGEOUS), but this really isn't a portrait of her, though I'd like to do one. I just wanted to get a feel for the generic beautiful, but in control post-war archetypal heroine. I probably won't be switching to female subjects exclusively, but things do need mixing up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment