Danger's Art Pad

Danger's Art Pad

Monday, November 25, 2013

Sunday Sign #11-Work in Progress

This week's sign is just a partial, as drying times and missing materials kept it from getting done this week. I'm working on a project to shift my blog over to Tumblr (stay tuned for link!), and wanted to have a cool header for my page, so I design this. After several color sketches in photoshop from my original pencil layout, I came up with this blue, chartreuse and (soon to come) maroon pattern on lavender. It needs some touchups and tweaking, but I think it'll look pretty cool once it's done. I'll post part 2 on this as soon as it's ready. (Sign is 13''x 33'', masonite)

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Sign #10- Haircut Stuff

I got a haircut last night, and it reminded me that I've been wanting to letter something on my haircutting supplies box for quite a while. I did this one Ed Roth style, little layout and pretty fast. The vibrance of the navy blue 1shot is much more apparent in person. Unfortunately, as I was wiping the chalk from the layout off, I hit a little undried glob in the "F" and smeared process blue all over everything. I was able to clean most of it with a Q-tip full of mineral spirits, but that's what looks a little messy in the photo. "Friseur in der Kiste" is bad German for "Barber in a box".

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Recent Drawings

I just scanned through my latest posts and realized that Sunday Signs have become the majority of my blog recently. Signs are great, but here's some ink work that has happened in the last month or so.

This one is a sketch I did during class today, just goofing around with ink and col-erase. 

A sort of quick goofy head done in my sketchbook the other night at one of the ever growing SLC art parties. 

This, like the next two, was done for my senior studio class. The theme was "London Stories"It's an illustration regarding an urban legend in London about a bricked up tunnel around the Whitechapel tube station that once led to the Royal London Hospital. As the story goes, the tunnel allowed hospital workers to load bodies onto a train that would stop at its entrance as there was no room to keep them at the hospital. People have looked around the Whitechapel station for said tunnel, though apparently no one has found it yet. (I think it's behind the skull bricks). Those lines took an awful long time to draw. 

This is the most recent piece for my senior studio class. The theme was simply "Halloween", and after a month of more grisly Halloween drawing for the 31 days series on Facebook, I wanted to do something like this. That little boy is actually myself as a tyke, wearing the very same vampire cape I wore on Halloween (and then for the rest of the year). The colors in the main section were meant to evoke vintage Halloween postcards, with the thought bubble coming more from the Goosebumps books I read as a kid in the 90's.
This is a touched-up version of the spirituality piece I did at the beginning of the semester. I inked these straight lines on vellum, then scanned them in and dropped them into the original drawing in photoshop. I like the straight lines better, but others have said they like the original. 

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sunday Sign #9- Born to lose!

This week's Sunday Sign is a helmet. This is a project I started a while ago, but put the final touches on the lettering and outlined the gold leaf today so I could shoot clear on it this afternoon. I'm really happy with how the clear turned out. I've never lettered or striped with 1shot before shooting the clear before, and I think it looks pretty good. I've got a few more helmets on deck for letters and clear, so keep you eyes open for more! They're also all for sale, so if you've got a special someone (like, yourself) who's got a medium head and a freewheelin spirit, this is just the Christmas present they need!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Sign #8- Lovestruck

This is the biggest sign I've done to date. 3'x 5' black 1shot on masonite, done for a senior capstone film project of someone I don't know. A friend of mine who works in the prop shop on campus (and who is helping out with the film) mentioned to me that they needed a big sign, so I said I'd do it. (that was before I knew the town name was 15 letters long, and that they'd want all of the supplementary text in plain block, the hardest font to letter.) It was a fun learning experience though, and it turned out pretty cool, if not a little boring. I should get a better pic sometime soonish; I neglected to get one before they took it to shoot, so one of the crew was kind enough to send me this image from her cell phone.