Danger's Art Pad

Danger's Art Pad

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Big Daddy Wehrmacht Projekt



I did another shirt-for-painting trade with my pal Shaky this Fall (the original being my Creatue painting for his Robert Williams-inspired Triumph shirt last Summer), in which I was to do a painting of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth in exchange for a monster shirt of me on my little Honda. Shaky sent me the Honda shirt (which turned out great!) about a month ago, and I decided yesterday (after getting the painting itch from looking through the Maynard Dixon book I just bought with the prize money from the German Week contest comic below) that I had better get moving on holding up my end of the bargain. I first did the layout/line study off of an old photo of Big Daddy in one of his "Surfer Helmets", seen here at the bottom of the pile, to the scale that the final painting will be, 8"x10". I then created a miniature version of the line drawing (middle image) to fit the 2.5"x 3.5" illustration board card that I did the quick, basic value study on in gouache (the top image). The final will be in oils, also in black and white. I'm also thinking of doing an inked version of the smaller line drawing for another art trade which is currently in the works with another hip monster artist, so that will be posted as well, if things go as planned. BIG DADDY IS OUR LEADER!

No comments:

Post a Comment