Danger's Art Pad

Danger's Art Pad

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

70's Honda Sickle Tank Project




The custom paint job for the tank of my 1978 Honda cb125 is nearly complete, and let me tell you, it has been a chore. The bottom photo shows the tank as it was the night I purchased the bike: severely dented from the forks, missing some paint, faded and peeling topcoat. The middle photo is the tank after I hastily removed the stock (and terribly late 70's looking) decal from the tank and even more hastily slapped some sticky lines and lettering on as a temporary cosmetic solution. After discovering that the tank's liner was coming apart during deep cleaning of it's interior, I took it to my new friend Dan Burlick, a restorer of vintage bikes (usually much cooler ones than mine) and generally nice guy, who relined the tank and pulled the dents out of it for me.  (if anyone is looking for motorcycle work like this, I highly recommend him. Get in touch with me and I'll give you his number.) After much sanding, priming, wetsanding, basecoating, and waiting, I've got the tank to this point, short just clear coat and new, more carefully painted "honda" lettering. I'll post the final when it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment